Our Top 10 Tips to be Sustainable this Festival Season
There’s no denying the summertime buzz of festivals. Every summer, we don our wellies, pack a mac, and with sunnies atop our heads, happily skip around fabulous festival days. We’re really lucky in the UK with festivals to celebrate everything from local produce and wine to 50s nostalgia and music of every genre. I have three festivals lined up for this summer already, and if I’m lucky, I'll squeeze one more in!
But with all this festivalling comes some rather unsavoury side effects to the environment. According to a report by Creative Carbon Scotland, UK festival-goers create the equivalent of over 2.7kg of waste per person per day. Wow.
But we can all do something about this. We can still revel in festivals and reduce our carbon footprint by doing a few simple things. Phew. Here are our top 10 tips for a more sustainable festival season.
Before you leave home
1. We all want to look our festival best! Opt for ethically made or vintage fashion rather than fast fashion to be more planet-friendly. Check out our Eco Wear collection for inspiration made from 100% recycled fabric. Swap those plastic face gems for biodegradable body paint or eco glitter and don’t underestimate the impact of a banging pair of our handmade festival sunnies on your look either!
2. Pack a mac, not a disposable poncho. Fold them up and they’re great cushions to sit on, too. Our water-resistant statement men's bombers and women's bombers are a great alternative to ponchos: they look awesome and are practical, especially in the cooler evenings.
3. Don’t forget to turn off Wifi and appliances while you’re away – it’s a great way to reduce your carbon footprint at home, even while you’re away.
On the way
4. Choose public transport or opt to carpool to reduce your carbon footprint – carpool karaoke to warm up for the festival? Yes, please!
When you’re there
5. Refill – take a reusable bottle and look out for water stations rather than buying bottled water in disposable plastics – better for the planet and your wallet. Thermal bottles can be used to keep your drinks cold, too. Travel coffee mugs are also brilliant for getting hot drink refills.
6. Reuse – many festivals offer reusable cups at the bar for a small deposit – take advantage of that. Cutlery can be rinsed and reused or use your hands to eat – but do wash them first!
7. Recycle – it’s unusual to go to a festival without recycling bins. It only takes a minute to sort and pop your waste in the correct bins…
8. Karma chameleon – …and on your way to the bins, why not pick up a few bits of litter on your way? Guaranteed this will give you a warm fuzzy buzz and plenty of good karma points, too!
9. Mind your butt – cigarette butts are one of the biggest litter items so dispose of them responsibly.
Before you head home
10. We’ve all seen scenes on the morning news after a festival showing seas of abandoned tents. These often go to landfill creating unnecessary waste. Buddy up with your mates and make a pact to look after your tent and take it home with you. Or borrow one from friends or family to give you the incentive to look after it and return it with care. With a bit of planning this one’s easy to do – and think of the money you’ll save on tents!
There you have it! We hope you enjoyed Neonimo’s top 10 tips for a more sustainable festival season. Whatever your festival plans are this summer, look fabulous and have a blast while being kind to our planet. 🌏
Namalee at Neonimo xx
Neonimo is designed and sustainably made in the UK. Sign up to our newsletter and get 10% off storewide!